London County Hall, Premier Inn Refit.
Just yards away from the London Eye and a stone’s throw from Westminster and the Houses of Parliament, County Hall was for many years the home of London’s government, in the form of the London County Council and latterly the Greater London Council (GLC) and Inner London Education Authority (ILEA). This imposing building, designed by Ralph Knott, is faced in Portland stone in an ’Edwardian Baroque’ style. The construction, which was undertaken by Holland, Hannen & Cubitts, was started in 1911 and the building was opened in 1922 by King George V. However, the intervention of two world wars prevented its completion until 1958.
Since the Parliament buildings were just across the river from County Hall, the facade of County Hall was frequently used as a billboard for anti-government slogans. When the GLC was abolished in 1986, County Hall lost its role as the seat of London’s government. However, the building remained in use by the Inner London Education Authority (ILEA) until its abolition in 1990 at which time the building was transferred to the London Residuary Body and eventually sold to private investors.
Today County Hall is the site of businesses and attractions, including Dali Universe, the London Sea Life Aquarium and a Namco Station amusement arcade. The London Eye is next to County Hall, and its visitor centre is inside the building. The building is also home to a City centre version of the popular motel, Premier Inn.
Silcock Dawson were appointed by The Premier Inns Group of Hotels to provide design consultancy services in respect of the removal of the existing electric central heating and the installation of a new 3 pipe VRV (variable refrigerant volume) air conditioning system in the hotel’s 315 rooms.
As part of its recommendations, the old County Hall’s listed status was given due consideration by the firm and much care was needed in the installation of the new fan coil systems, including condenser units at roof level.